PHASE 1 - INITIAL TRAINING
- We have a proven track record in being able to find and assess suitable trainees.
- Trainees are encouraged to take responsibility from the day they walk into our training centre.
- They can choose from a selection of practical activities, including: plastering; tiling; basic carpentry; and painting and decorating. Trainees initially only practise skills that they are interested in - this helps to keep them motivated.
- Trainees are encouraged to be punctual and take pride in their work. Problem solving and working with others is also fostered.
- Overalls and work boots are provided throughout training and lunch and travel expenses are met.
- An emphasis is placed on Health & Safety procedures. Trainees can practise for their Construction Skills Certificate Scheme (CSCS) Health & Safety Test. When a trainee is ready we will fund the cost of the test.
- On completing PHASE 1, most trainees who want to continue in construction can move onto PHASE 2. Trainees who want to pursue areas away from construction are supported in finding suitable further training or employment opportunities.
Amos had worked over the years on different construction sites, picking up some skills along the way. Unfortunately, he then became homeless and spent over a year in a nightshelter. This seriously knocked his confidence and he had to gradually piece things back together volunteering with charities.
This time around, Amos wants to plan a career path in construction.We therefore arranged for him to complete a 13 week DIY skills course with the City of Westminster College with whom we have close links. From there he has moved on to paid work on our empty homes renovation projects (PHASE 3), working on flats in Rotherhithe and Peckham.
Amos's plan is to set up his own building company and he has been saving money he has earned to buy tools in readiness for this. We will support him through this process so he ultimately attains PHASE 4.